Monday, January 24, 2011

Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipsticks


While in Melbourne a few weeks ago, I got a sms from Dee advising that Chemist Warehouse were going to have a sale on Maybelline products and they were offering 3 Colour Sensational lipsticks for $20 (She's such an enabler lol). Anyway dutifully the next day I popped into a Chemist Warehouse and picked up 3 new lovelies. Below I have swatched them with the one I already had in the colour Nearly There (205).

If you are not already familiar with the Colour Sensational Lipsticks then I am happy to report that this range comes in a heap of colours - split into 3 colour tubes - pink, brown and red. The finish of the shades is varied with creme and shimmer shades across the colour groups. The packaging is (IMO) lovely and doesn't scream "cheap lipstick here" which is nice. My only issue is the scent, it's some kind of fake sweet something (maybe caramel?). Personally I don't like the smell but it wouldn't stop me from purchasing more of these in the future.

I have swatched the four together here - so you can see they are all different colours because a couple look almost identical on my lips below.

 Pictured: Plaza Pink, Nearly There, Totally Toffee and Caramel Kiss (natural light, no flash)

 Pictured: Plaza Pink, Nearly There, Totally Toffee and Caramel Kiss (natural light, direct sunlight)

Now onto the lip swatches if you are interested:


Plaza Pink (145) is my only tube in the pink colour. It is a lovely medium toned pink creme and I think it would be pretty much universally flattering.


 Natural Light no flash

Natural light with flash.

Nearly There (205) was the first one of these lipsticks I purchased and is a light golden neutral with shimmer. I love this colour because it is neutral but it's a my lips but better shade as opposed to a true nude that makes me look a little too much like a corpse for my liking.

 
 
Natural Light no flash

 
Natural light with flash

Totally Toffee (215)  is a browner creme version of Nearly There. This has a little warmth to it but I would consider it a neutral brown rather than a pinky one. Isn't she pretty?



 Natural Light no flash

Natural light with flash
 
Caramel Kiss (225)  is a fantastic bronzey brown metallic shimmer and it became my instant favourite when I purchased it. I love this colour but after changing my hair colour last week it's all a bit clash city right now, sigh, so I've put it away for now. Love this colour and know we will become friends again once my hair settles (from a bright strawberry blonde to a more faded golden blonde again).




  Natural Light no flash

 Natural light with flash

Overall: If you can get these on sale and you are not put off by the smell these are a great choice. They are not long lasting lipsticks - but I don't think they are marketed that way either. You'll need to reapply after each meal and I think that's pretty reasonable. The colour choice is outstanding and with innovative packaging I think these are worth the look if you haven't already.

5 comments:

  1. So glad I only just read this now.....that's a good deal, but I'm on a lippie buying ban :(
    In fact - it's a beauty buying ban in general.
    I buy stuff, use it a couple of times then move on to the next new purchase - bad habit, expensive & I've accumulated too many products!
    It sickens me to think of potentially having to throw out a bunch of near new products because I never got around to using them (for YEARS - ouch!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know that story and I am guilty of it as well - especially with my lipsticks and nail polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how Nearly There looks on you. I've got Pink Me Up and quite like the formula for a drugstore lippy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does your website have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to shoot you
    an email. I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.

    my blog post: What Is Methadone Treatment

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. Buy mdma online

    ReplyDelete